Extrusion Lines for Manufacturing of
Precision Bristle and Precision Monofilaments
Extruded bristles are used in a wide range of products such as: Household brushes, toothbrushes and technical brushes.
- The resin is fed via an automatic metering station directly into the extruder where it is plasticized by an extruder screw with optimized geometrical design
Spin head 2
Modern extrusion lines for monofilament and bristle manufacturing use either single or twin spinnerets, in accordance with the intended throughput rate.
- All components in contact with the melt are made of stainless steel.
- Coolant pressure in the spin head is monitored by a manometer and can be read off there.
- Heat losses are minimized by multi-layer insulation in the spin head housing.
Gear pump drive 2
- The gear pump drive motors are mounted on a steel gantry frame above the spin head. Power transmission to each pump is done by a telescoping drive shaft.
Quench bath 3
- The filaments leaving the spin head are cooled off in the quench bath.
- The quench bath water temperature is freely selectable and controllable.
- The filaments can be visually checked on their way through the bath via side windows.
- A swivel-mounted comb guide separates the cooled filaments leaving the bath.
Godet roll stands 4, 7, 9, 11, 17
- The line incorporates multiple godet roll stands: haul-off units (4, 7), drawing units (9, 11) and the orientating unit (17).
- Each stand has 7 godet rolls along with the base frame, housing with transmission gearing and godet bearings, pneumatic press roll and drive unit.
- Auto-lubricated cylindrical roller bearings on the front side and deep-groove ball bearings on the rear side ensure extremely long life even under heavy-duty use.
- Heatable/coolable godet rolls are available as options to fulfil specific process requirements.
Filament dryers 5, 15
- The filament dryers utilize a vacuum / blowing process to prevent water entrainment on filaments leaving the quench bath or any other water baths in the line.
Hot-air ovens 6, 8, 10, 12, 13
- Hot-air ovens are an important component of filament and tape manufacturing lines. They dry the products moving through them, elevating and equilibrating their temperature to the exact level required.
Anti-static ionizer 11
- This unit, mounted on a steel frame on the downstream side of the last drawing unit (11), provides an ionization effect to dissipate electrostatic charge build-up on the filament
Filament preparation unit 16
- The filament preparation unit is used to apply selected chemical agents to the filaments as required to facilitate further processing and conversion.
Twin-coiler take-off station 18
- The twin-coiler take-off station is specifically designed to provide continuous automatic take-off of synthetic bristle strands. It consists of the overhead suspension frame, traverse arm, cutting knife (located above the coilers), cutting devices (located at the bottom of each coiler), drive unit and twin coiler wheels.
Options available for bristle manufacturing
- Automatic undulating machine for fabrication of crimped-wave bristles.
- Automatic wrapping machine for bristle bundles coming from coiler station.
- Automatic receiving magazine for smooth intermediate handling of bristle bundles coming from coiler station.
- Automatic cutter, incrementally cuts bristle bundles to desired strand length.
- Automatic short-staple cutter, incrementally cuts bristle bundles to desired (short) strand length.
- Automatic hot knife unit, cuts bunched bristle stock into two bundles for separate packing in wrapping machine.
- Orientating autoclave providing extremely high bristle linearity.
- Drying oven for drying of bristle bundles prior to wrapping.
Monofilament lines / design features
The main difference between bristle and monofilament extrusion lines is handling of the finished product. In monofilament lines, a creeling station is used in place of the twin-coiler take-off station. Also, the water bath after the hot-air ovens is not required. In addition, a filament catching system is included for increased process reliability and as a start-up aid. An automatic diameter monitoring device can also be included as an optional feature if required.
We can provide custom-designed systems tailored to specific customer, product and quality requirements.